The benefits of biltong
- Biltong is a dried meat snack that is high in protein and has a low carb content, it is good for a variety of diets.
- Biltong is so popular partly due to its much more favourable nutrient composition compared to many other common snack foods, such as potato chips, cookies, and crackers.
- Beef contains more micronutrients, kilogram for kilogram than most other meats.
- These nutrients build muscle, repair tissue, boost immunity, and promote brain and body functions.
- Biltong is an excellent source of protein and nine essential amino acids.
- Dried beef also serves as a good source of several other essential nutrients, including magnesium, potassium, and B vitamins
Easy biltong recipe
- 2,5 kg meat (venison, beef or ostrich)
- 40 grams coriander seeds
- 40 grams salt
- 40 grams milled black pepper
- Cut the meat, we like to use beef silverside, into long strips of about 2.5cm’s thick with a large sharp knife.
- You can sprinkle brown vinegar or Worcestershire sauce on both sides of the meat strips if you want cured meat.
- Roast the coriander seeds in a dry frying pan to bring out their fantastic flavour.
- Crush lightly with a pestle and mortar, mix them with salt and pepper, then sprinkle over some of this mixture when layering it between layers of meat strips.
- Make sure you season each layer before adding another one!
- Refrigerate for a day, don’t worry about mixing every couple of hours. The meat will still absorb all the flavours in one go.
- Hang the beef to dry for five days in your biltong dryer or a spot with plenty of airflows.
- Dry meat in a place with good ventilation; paper clips can be used as makeshift hanging hooks if needed.
- Drying time depends on the weather and whether you prefer your biltong crisp or moist.
Related Biltong Posts
- How to keep biltong fresh
- The price of biltong, should you buy biltong, or make it at home?
- The top 5 biltong spices you must try
- The difference between biltong and beef jerky
Other Flavours of Biltong and Dry Wors
- Drywors Chutney | Air Dried: Min-250g
- Chilli Biltong (High Protein Air Dried Beef Snack): Min-250g
- Peri-Peri Chilli bites (High Protein Air Dried Beef Snack): Min-200g
- Biltong Sticks (High Protein Air Dried Beef Snack): Min-200g
- Original Droewors (Air Dried Sausage): Min-250g
- Keto Droewors (Air Dried Sausage): Min-250g
- Venison | Game Droewors | Air Dried: Min-250g
Popular Biltong Spices and dryer
- Biltong Spice – 200g – Original Flavour – Gluten, ALLERGEN and MSG Free – by The Biltong Company
- Biltong Spice Blend Seasoning (Trial Pack) – 100g
- Crown National Safari Chilli Bite Seasoning Biltong Spice 2Kg Safari Seasoning Droewors Drywors
- Crown National Safari Biltong Seasoning
- Biltong Maker Biltong Box Beef Jerky Dehydrator Biltong Spice with Opening Front Door
— Frans Brewis (@kougom) August 31, 2021